Friday, May 28, 2010

Kale says Happy Friday!

Kale had a nice little Friday for himself! Not a whole lot to report today, which we are learning is a good thing.

Kale got himself another bath last night, AND he got a new bed today. They switch out the beds every 2-3 weeks or so just for maintenance purposes. I SO wish that I had a picture to post from this experience. But...since I don't, I'll do my best to describe this, as it was pretty hilarious (but I'm sure it's one of those things you had to be there for, so when you finish reading this and you're not laughing hysterically like I am right now, just understand that it's the small things in life right now that we look forward to!). Wendy, Kale's nurse, told us she could use some help switching out his bed. Well, Derc and I of course jump at the chance because we know it will involve lifting him up and holding him for at least a solid minute. So, Derc wins the 'holding Kale' part, whereas I 'win' the holding all of the vent tubes and some heavy box looking thing that is attached to his body. So, the switcheroo has to happen in our 8'x8' room. The bed is probably 3' long by 2' wide, so we have to fit two beds in the room, plus his big honkin' vent, his machine that drips his meds, the three of us and all of his other stuff. Derc begins the process by going under his mattress and lifting and he is squatted down a little bit because he had to keep Kale at the same level he was at when he was in his bed. Meanwhile, I am bear hugging Derc from the back (just trying to get you a mental image!), my right hand holding the IV coming out of Kale's ankle and is hooked up to his machine , my left hand holding the vent tubing that is coming from the machine and going into my child's lungs (I'm sweating from the stress of just re-living this!), then as the nurse leaves the room, she says, oh wait, here is this box that you'll have to hold while we switch, don't worry it's not that heavy. She then hangs this box over my PINKY to hold. Ok, I haven't done any sort of bicep curl for maybe 2 years so I can take accountability for that, and granted, this thing was maybe 10 pounds, but locked in a curl position, holding IV and vent tubing in each arm which is connected to my son's body, bear hugging my husband and squatting over...NOT OK!!!! (By the way, Justin is Sarah doing the wind up laugh yet?!) She could not move that other bed into position fast enough, as soon as she did I let go and my arms were literally trembling and I was a sweaty mess. Yeah, so that was our excitement of the day!

Other than that, Kale increased his feedings again today, up to 7 mls every 3 hours, that is almost TWO ounces per day!! He's flying through this milk, what an awesome little man!

His blood gases were pretty stable today, blood sugar has leveled off a bit, and they still have negative test results on his infection. So, we're hoping for a calm weekend. His lung x-ray is still hazy, so they are talking about potentially doing some steroids in the next week or so to see how his lungs respond. His weight was still at 1 lb. 10 oz. The Drs. said that we should expect to see his weight start to increase a bit more quickly now, but nothing too crazy.

Well, we hope everyone has a GREAT Memorial Day weekend, we're planning on seeing some friends this weekend and hopefully enjoying it with uneventful news from the hospital. Thanks for checking in, we tell Kale every day how many people he has thinking of him and saying prayers for him. He says thanks :)

1 comment:

  1. Love the mental picture!! Yes to the wind up laugh and even had tears streaming down my face as I read it to justin! Thanks for the laugh :)

    ReplyDelete