Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Two weeks old!

Little guy is trying SO hard to open up his eyes!!
Precious little guy!!

Swollen purple foot!! They have to draw blood from his foot so many times throughout the day, it is all bruised and sad looking :(


Kale grabbing Derc's finger, precious :)


First family photo with all three of us!!
Well, our thoughts came true over the night, Kale went back on the high frequency vent. It's what we expected with how his blood gases were throughout the day yesterday. He was pretty stable on the vent today, so we're happy with that! His blood gases looked better and better throughout the day.
Kale's weight dipped a bit today, back down to 1 lb. 10 oz. He just can't seem to stray too far from that number! He increased his feedings today, up to 5 mls every 3 hours. He's just a rockstar when it comes to eating!! The Drs. are happy with his eating habits, so hopefully those will continue to increase and he will begin packing on the pounds.
Kale's infection came back today negative. This either means that his infection is slow growing (which is likely from the way his three tests have come back so far...negative, positive, negative) or they are false positives. So, the Drs. are keeping him on antibiotics to try and get rid of this for good.

Today I got to experience some true parenting moments. Kale peed through his diaper and soaked his bedding, thata boy! So, Jodi (one of Kale's nurses...we think she is his favorite :) ) and I had to work together to change his bedding. So...that means I got to briefly HOLD my boy!! I lifted him up about 6 inches in his incubator while Jodi switched out his bedding. It was special, he is just so light, it completely threw me off. But it was fantastic! Annnnnnd the true parenting moment came when I later realized that while I was holding him he pooped a little on my hand, haha! One of many times to come I can only hope!! The next one was when I had my hand up by Kale's face and I was changing one of his wires and he reached out and grabbed my finger :) I'm pretty sure that was a complete coincidence since he can't even open his eyes, but hey, I'll take it!
I think that's about it from today, we're hoping that Kale continues to improve tomorrow with his blood gases and works towards stabilizing his oxygen levels to bring him one step close to the next vent. Thanks for keeping him in your thoughts!

5 comments:

  1. YAY! Congrats, that is so awesome! Gotta love a poopy hand! I love seeing your updates everyday and im glad hes a lil trooper! I cant wait to see you all again and meet Kale! Kason is excited to play with him too, just wait in a year or two Kason Jordan and Kale will be running around together! Cant wait. We are hoping to make a trip out there pretty soon so i will keep you posted..

    Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. STEPHANIE! Do you honestly hope he poops in your hand on more than one occasion?? Oh, how times have changed!! I'm glad Kale is doing well, he sure does have the eating habits of his mother :) Can't wait for Memorial Day to meet the little guy!! Love you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAPPY 2 WEEK BIRTHDAY KALE! I'm SO glad you pooped on Mommy....that is something she'll remember forever! You look like you're growing a little bit each day. You get strong so hopefully we can get down to see you this weekend! Good job of peeing out of the diaper too....it's a good way to get Mom or Dad to hold you!
    We love you!
    ~Aunt Sarah & Uncle Z!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephanie, I am not so sure it was by accident or coincidence that Kale held your finger. I believe he knows your smell, voice, touch and presence. So happy you got to have some bonding time and can't wait until you can kangaroo hold him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO happy to hear all the great news. I think your little man already has biceps..I can see them in the pictures. He must get those from his mommy:)

    ReplyDelete