Friday, June 18, 2010

Still on the Drager!


Crazy weather day in Iowa! Pics of the storm rolling in from my back deck.
Well, another first for Kale today - he made it through his first tornado warning! Today we saw a lot of nasty weather in Des Moines. I woke up to tornado sirens and went downstairs, when I saw this front coming in....yikes! I'm terrified of storms, so wasn't super excited when I saw this, realized I was alone in the house with the exception of my dog Mack, who as it turns out is also terrified of storms! We got to spend the morning in the basement. I called Derc at work and their tornado 'safe place' is the bathroom so their whole office was hanging out in the bathroom. I called the hospital to check on Kale and his nurse said they were in a 'Code black', which apparently means tornado time for the hospital. Whenever we get storms like this I immediately think of my Dad because he loved watching storms come in. Tornado sirens would be going off, the newspeople telling us to take cover and he runs outside to watch. Now, I like to think that he has a front row seat to all the craziest storms.
Kale had a pretty good day today. His gas this morning wasn't great, so they changed a setting on his vent to open the air pockets in his lungs a little. His gases throughout the day got better, so he is staying on the vent for now! His 6pm gas was the best all day, so they aren't doing another one til tomorrow morning. this means I got to hold him again today....I could get used to this :)
His lungs looked wet again today so the Dr. ordered 3 doses of Lasix to dry him out again. Hopefully it's working and his lung x-ray tomorrow morning looks better as the nurse today was suctioning a lot of nasty stuff out of his lungs.
Other than that, not much to report from today! We're off to dinner with some friends, and tomorrow will be a very busy day with Cory and Laura's bridal shower and bachelor/bachelorette party so I'm not sure if I'll be around a computer for the daily update. If not, I will make sure to catch you up to speed on Sunday! Thanks for checking in, have a great weekend!!

1 comment:

  1. Kale - congratulations on surviving your first tornado siren. I need to tell you a story about your mom and your Aunt Sarah. One day there was a very nasty storm that came through Cedar Rapids. Your mom and Aunt Sarah were home alone, as we were at the grocery store. We had a hard time getting back home, as trees were knocked down, blocking the streets. When we arrived home, the power was out. We walked inside the house, and found a note on the table that said "Rescuers - you will find our bodies downstairs under the pool table. Tell our mom we loved her". We went downstairs, and found them under the pool table, with a flashlight, a radio, a blanket, glasses of water and some snacks. I think my cousins, Katie and Ben (they were almost the same ages as Sarah and Stephanie) were with them too. They were pretty scared, and VERY happy that we were home!
    So Kale, I hope that you share the same thrill of storms that your Grandpa Tim had. Some day you need to ask your mother about her love of storms!

    Kale, you continue to amaze me with your strength and determination. You're a fighter, and you're doing great.

    Hoping your lungs can stabalize and get better while on this vent.

    Wishing you a great day!
    Love,
    Grandma June

    ReplyDelete