Thursday, September 2, 2010

It's so close!

Oh my gosh, we're so close we can taste it!!!!!!!!!!


Kale has taken full bottles for 24 hours......he has to go 48 hours to come home. AND they don't send babies home on the weekend, so he really has to go like 96 hours without being tube fed (any amount). If he does need tube fed then the clock starts over. I'm calling after every bottle now, can.not.wait.

So, since he is so close, I may have gone a bit overboard buying cleaning supplies at Target today....I got the ol' phone call from Derc tonight saying, "If you spent $200 at Target why is our fridge still empty?!" Woops! Oh well, can't be too safe, right?! That was only with 2 phone calls to my sister asking what I really need to have on stock at the house to bring a baby home. Not bad.

Today I met with the home health care person, and she showed me how to operate his oxygen tank, apnea monitor and pulse ox machine. I'm sure that our first night that Sarah and Justin stay the night we'll end up testing Derc and Justin's pulse ox and heart rate...

He had the worst day of his manhood yesterday and got circumcised. Poor guy. He is still really swollen but doesn't seem to be in much pain anymore. Hopefully it will heal up over the weekend. I asked the nurse for a copy of the paperwork so I can show Kale when he's old enough that it wasn't my fault, Derc is the one that signed the paper :)

He is at a half liter oxygen now and is doing well with that. He also had an eye exam today and it sounds like he is still moving in the right direction there too. She will follow up in 2 weeks, and we'll hopefully be able to go to her office for that since we'll be home by then.

So.....please say a prayer for Kale to continue to do well so we can finally bring him home on Monday. We will quite possibly be the two happiest people in the world that day. Can't wait for all of you to meet him soon. That reminds me, I bought a gallon of Purell today for all of our visitors :)

Oh.....and HAPPY 30TH BIRTHDAY SARAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8 comments:

  1. awww! I just got goose bumps! I am sooooo happy for you and derc! What a little stud Kale is. Such a strong little man! Congrats again to all 3 of you and we would love to come visit again soon if thats ok with you guys! Love you all and yay! go Kale!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Derc, Steph, & Kale,

    So we've never officially met but I'm Ben G's sister-in-law and have been closely following and praying for your challenging journey. I'm so happy to hear Kale is doing so well, and I will say a few extra prayers over the next few days so hopefully you can FINALLY welcome him into his loving home. Best of luck.

    Kelsey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steph & Derc
    What a great anniversary present it will be to have Kale at home.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful news! Appreciate your updates and look forward to news and pictures when he's home with you. Kale: the miracle child and a couple strong parents! Best to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. THe Hawks will be getting a win for Kale this weekend!! That will definitely give the little guy a boost to be able to come home on Monday!! :) Love you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. He hates the Hawkeyes Jacqui....

    -Kales Dad...

    ReplyDelete
  7. omg, so great steph. I can't wait til you take the little booger home.
    LOCK UP YOUR DAUGHTERS, EVERYONE!!!

    ReplyDelete