Saturday, September 11, 2010

Note to self...read directions

That's right, his shirt does say 'Future Mr. Right' (ready to melt your heart Brynna!)...and yes, he is trying to poop here, not the best photo op :)
Dad babysitting on Football Saturday - a scene that I'm sure I'll see many more times!

Tummy time!! He is doing a great job with tummy time, lifting his head and moving it around, pushing up off the ground. Mack is doing a good job with tummy time too, he's a highly involved big brother.


ALMOST caught a smile...stupid camera!

Hanging out with Aunt Sarah!

Cutie pie :)

I remember a time about 4 months ago when his foot was the size of my thumb, little man is growing!
Well, I finally think I know why Kale wasn't eating all that well when we brought him home. Turns out it may have been a combination of a few things.....#1 - Turns out babies prefer their formula pretty warm, not just 'kinda' warm. #2 - When preparing formula you should really read the directions on the can. You might be surprised to know that the scoop that comes in the formula is not 1 tsp...it's actually about three. So, when the NICU told us to mix 1/2 a tsp with 1.5 oz of milk to get the calories where they need to be, that isn't the same as 1/2 a scoop. Also, when you make 3 oz, you should not add 1 entire scoop as that is 3 tsps......woops! No wonder he wouldn't eat and was beyond constipated. Needless to say, I feel a bit guilty, and I get -5 points.
Other than that....
Kale has been doing well on his 1/2 liter oxygen and apparently the oxygen turned off in the middle of the night because when we went to shut it off to move him downstairs it was already off. So...either someone was sleepwalking or it never got turned on overnight. Good news is that we checked his pulse ox immediately and it was 100%, so that shows he can handle no oxygen (at least for some period of time!). His apnea monitor has been going off, but it still hasn't been for his heart, just the not breathing thing which have been false every time. We're getting used to it, and turns out if you put some tape over the speaker it makes the noise a little less deafening for everyone in the house, but is still plenty loud enough to hear.
We have had plenty of help over the week between my sister and Justin and Derc's parents, Doug and Tina. Good thing to, because yesterday was pretty rough for me. I either had the flu or food poisoning or something because I was super sick. My sister took me to the Dr. for some IV re-hydration and some anti-nausea medicine (which works wonders by the way!). That knocked me out for about 5 hrs so Derc, Sarah and Justin had baby watch. Feeling much better today though, thank goodness!
Thanks to everyone for checking in, life is going well and Kale is transitioning very well! Also, we've had a TON of support from 'Team Kale' and we appreciate you helping out more than you can imagine!!! We have wonderful support from our friends, family and friends of friends :)

3 comments:

  1. Believe me, that is the first of MANY little mistakes you will make as a parent...get used to it :) It does explain a lot though!
    Oh, and you should never take points away from yourself! You only have 10/day and if you take away 5, then if Derc wants to take away another 5...all of a sudden you're out! You can always give yourself points though. Just some rules I thought you should be aware of :)
    It was a blast helping you out and I'm glad you feel better! Can't wait to see the little bugger again soon! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since Kale is the future Mr. Right, than it's your responsibility to get things wrong occasionally so he can be Right. Otherwise, he'll just be obnoxious and that little cutie can't be obnoxious. Sarah's right, welcome to the Parent Club...lots of little mistakes to look forward to and, somehow, kids keep surviving! :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom and Dad,
    Please update our blog. I want you to show people new pictures of me and let them know how great I'm doing at home! :)
    Love,
    Kale

    ReplyDelete