Thursday, June 3, 2010

Better Day

Well, Kale had a more stable day today, which we are thankful for. His blood gases looked much better today than they did yesterday, which hopefully means that his lungs are doing a little better. His oxygen levels were pretty high today still when he was laying on his back, up to 85%, which is much higher than we are used to. His SpO2 level was more stable today, with fewer highs and lows. His lung x-ray this morning looked a little less hazy, however his lungs looked a little overinflated, so they backed off on one of his vent settings a bit in hopes that they would deflate a bit. He did much better when laying on his belly today, his oxygen levels were down to about 60% when he was on his stomach. We're hoping the 4am gas and 6am x-rays look even better and they can start weening him back down.

He is still tolerating his feeds really well, and they increased his volume even more today! He's just a little porker, we love it! He is up to 13 mls every 3 hours, that is almost a HALF an ounce every 3 hours people!!! Remember when just two weeks ago he was at 1 ml every 6 hours? That's right, he's pretty much a rock star :) So, now he's at 104 mls in a 24 hr. period, so close to 4 ounces which is an average bottle. The nurse today said she wouldn't be surprised if they leave him at 13 mls tomorrow and increase his calories, so we'll see what the day brings.

Derc got to enjoy changing his first poopy diaper today!! Well, I guess I should say he almost did...for those of you who know Derc and his struggles with dirty diapers, you won't be surprised with how this went. He got to be there for Kale's 5pm cares, and we saved the diaper for last. Derc got as far as undoing the diaper and looking to see what was inside and had to close it back up because he was gagging. He did this about 4 times before he gave up and we switched. BUT, I have to give him credit, it was a nasty diaper and he did try hard, I was impressed that he stuck in there as long as he did, because his eyes were watering and he was dry heaving before it was over. He has some work to do before Kale gets home because mom's not going to be around for all these :)

Kale and I made a deal today that he needs to get off this vent before Father's Day. I told him that if he was able to do that then I would let Derc be the first to hold him. He didn't put up much of a fight, so I think we were in agreement. It would be a great Father's Day gift for Derc to hold him for the first time...so we'll see, we're crossing our fingers!

Thanks for checking in and for all of your support. We had quite a few people reach out to us after Kale had a rough day yesterday, and we appreciate that so much! Thanks for keeping him in your prayers, the little guy has so much support. We would also like to thank everyone who has added Kale to prayer chains they are involved in, with a special thanks to the congregation at St. Mark's in Cedar Rapids! Have a great night!

5 comments:

  1. Tony has gotten a lot better at dirty diapers but he still occasionally gags when it's a real nasty one! Just wait until it goes out the diaper and up the back. Poop everywhere! I think that you and Kale have a great agreement and that would be the perfect father's day gift :) I'm done with school so let me know if you need anything!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stephanie. You may or may not remember me but I used to answer phones for your mom many years ago when we were both at the 35th Street facility at Rockwell. :-) Your mom told us (the handbell choir) about your blog and I've been checking in every morning to see how Kale is doing. He and your family are in my prayers.

    -Tina Wolff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Stephanie and Derc, you don't really know me, but I work for your Mom (June) at Rockwell Collins - I think your Mom introduced me to you briefly when I stopped by your Dad's funeral. I read your blog every single morning and have become emotionally attached to the little guy even though I've never met him.
    I want you to know that I am impressed with your spirit and attitude! It seems you are doing very well at staying strong and positive throughout all of this. I know it doesn't compare at all, but both of my girls were slightly premature (only 5 weeks early) and spent a couple weeks in the NICU. So I'm somewhat familiar with the roller coaster of emotions (fear, frustration, sadness, joy, and encouragement) that you are going through - although certainly not to the extent that you are. We were strong believers that our positive attitudes helped our girls heal and grow healthy... So I want to encourage you to remain positive and pass along those "healing" powers of love... He will sense it and feed off of it!
    Both of my daughters (now 4 and 2) add "Baby Kael" to their night time prayers every single night. Although they don't understand it, I have to explain it as "Baby Kael has big owies and needs our help to get better."
    Keep up the great work updating this blog... You may not even realize it now, but it will most likely help other parents get through something like this down the road... And I'm sure it's also theraputic for you.
    We will continue to keep you and Baby Kael in our prayers, and I look forward to reading as he improves and eventually gets to come home with his family.
    -Damon Hines

    ReplyDelete
  4. Derc,
    I am very proud of you making it that far with a poopy diaper! I remember when you started sweating and dry heaving when you changed one of my pee diapers! You've come a long way Uncle D! :)
    See you guys on Sunday. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grandma JoAn says:
    You two are amazing! Derc, we are proud of you for the determination in your new fatherly duty of changing the diaper!! Every little effort, small as it may be, leads to new accomplishments. Think of polishing your shoes each time you do it and see how fast you can get around those curves and make them "shine".
    Stephanie and Derc, our prayer requests have gone out to our congregation, Urban Homeworks, CES, friends, relatives across the nation and Bible Study groups. Baby Kale is a gem as are both of you. We pray that God's love comforts you and gives you the strength needed for the days ahead. Our love and prayers are with you always. So proud of you all.

    ReplyDelete