Thursday, July 22, 2010

Day 70

Wow, sorry for the gap in updates! We're happy to report that Kale is doing really well and has been the past few days! He is down to 2 lpm on his vapotherm and his blood gases have been consistent, so the Drs. are really happy with that.

He is up to 4 lbs. 10.5 oz! His feeds have been increased to 40 mls every 3 hours. The exciting news over the past few days is that the Drs. gave the OK to start 'nuzzling'. Essentially this is to get Kale used to the idea of nursing. He has done a really good job and we're hoping that we might get the OK to actually start nursing and bottle feeding the next few days. We're so excited because this is one step closer to coming HOME! He's got the maintaining his own temp thing down, now we just have to get him down to a lower oxygen setting and then he has to eat on his own.

He had his eye exam today and it went well, no changes from the previous time so that's what we're looking for.

Kale has been really alert the past few days during his cares and other times as well. A pretty cool thing happened the other day. I was holding Kale and he was awake and looking around. I noticed that he was doing this thing with his fingers that my dad used to do. He was flicking his thumb with his middle finger (my dad used to do this allllll the time) and he winked at me a few times. So I asked him, Kale is Grandpa Tim here with us? And he flashed me a nice big smile. It was great to have a feeling that my dad was hanging out with us, which I think he's been doing a lot over the past few months, keeping an eye out for his grandson.

Well that's about it for now, not a whole lot to update on recently as Kale is kind of just trying to get bigger and continue to do well breathing on his own. We're so happy that he is progressing so well, he continues to amaze us!!!

3 comments:

  1. oh i heave tears in my eyes! your dad will never leave you steph-i lost my dad prior to having children too---there are still things that happen now that make me realize he is still here-he will always be there for you and your family :) I am sooooo glad kale is doing better! before you know it you will all be home together!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Krystal FitzpatrickJuly 23, 2010 at 12:03 AM

    Wow, I was 4 lbs 11 oz when I was born...it would be so interesting to me to be able to actually see what a baby that small looks like! lol. That is great news that he is gaining the weight so quickly! He will be home before you know it and you will be wishing that you had the extra hands of those nurses around when you need it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Steph and Derc, I sent a message to Derc's Facebook so read it and reply when you can. Kale is soooooo cute!!!! Love, Allison

    ReplyDelete