Monday, July 12, 2010

Never a dull day!

Well, I survived my first day back to work today, with only 4 calls to the NICU throughout the day which I was pretty proud of myself for! What an eventful day it was, we got to spend about 2 hours or so in the dark at my store because of a power outage. I've never experienced a long power outage like that at a SuperT, lets just say that it takes a lot of plastic and cardboard to cover all the refrigerated and frozen sections in a grocery store. The team did awesome and all was well and the power came back on without any damage to the product, so at least I was able to stay busy and keep my mind off things! Of course the flowers from my mom and Pete, text messages and emails from friends and family wishing me luck helped too :)

Kale had kind of an up and down day today. He is still on the 4lpm and his gas was a little higher today, but still good. He had 3 actual spells today where his HR dipped into the 50s, two times he corrected it himself and one time he needed help to come out of it. When I was there this evening he had about 7 or 8 times that he dipped down into the 60's so it's not technically a spell, but too low for my liking. He is pretty puffy so I'm hoping it's a combination of retaining fluid (one of his eyes was really puffy and the nurse asked if he got into a fight with the baby next door who is quite a hefty one), being on lower flow and being off steroids and caffeine that affected him today. We're really hoping and praying that these spells today were kind of a fluke and he'll recover overnight.

They decided to up his feeds today to 30 mls/3 hours fortified at 27 calories. THAT IS ONE OUNCE PEOPLE!!! He finally made it, that is what I've been waiting to hear since he started eating. I remember thinking it felt like such a long time before he would hit that mark, but of course he never ceases to amaze us and he is downing food like it's his job.

They also decided to stop his caffeine this evening. He has been on that since birth, so we'll see how he likes it. My guess is if his HR keeps going up and down they will probably start it up again.

He will have a blood gas in the morning and we're hoping that tomorrow brings a more stable day for him with a more steady HR. Thanks for checking in!

3 comments:

  1. Kale,
    Hey buddy - we're praying you can keep your Heart Rate (HR) steady today - know it's an adjustment not having your caffeine every day - but we know you're a fighter and can tackle the challenges that come your way. Also praying for your lungs to continue to strengthen.

    Steph - wishing you a less stressful day today at work. Hey - the activities kept your mind focused though didn't it?

    Derc - it was great seeing you this weekend. And, might I add that you have excellent taste in clothing! LOVED the shirt. Hopefully you and Justin were able to take pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kale, I know how I would feel going off caffeine so I think you're doing all right. :) Keep fighting!! Steph, glad work was BUSY for ya, anything to keep your mind off not being at the hospital. Just think in a few weeks you'll be home again and Kale will be home with you. Love you guys!! XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steph we are thinking about you guys still! Our little Boston was a spell baby-e-mail me any time you need to! daniellechrisco@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete